Cottage Pie with a Parsnip and Melted Cheddar Mash
- 1 kg of Fresh Meadow Irish Organic Beef Steak Mince
- 250g of Dulano Smoked Bacon Lardons
- 2 tbsp of Fresh Meadow Organic Tomato Ketchup
- 3 tbsp of Steak House Marinade
- 10 medium Potatoes peeled and halved
- 4 Parsnips peeled and cut into chunks
- 200g grated Rathdaragh Medium Cheddar
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Vita D'or Sunflower Oil
- Splash of Milk
- 1 tbsp of Dairy Manor butter
- Kania Salt and pepper
- Put the onion, bacon & sunflower oil into a pot and cook slowly for 15 minutes with a lid on, stirring every now and then.
- Turn up the heat and start to colour the onions and bacon with the lid off for a further 5 minutes until they start to brown, the bottom of the pot will colour as well but that’s okay.
- Add the steak mince and break up, cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile put the potatoes and parsnips on to boil.
- Add the steak marinade and ketchup to the mince and cook for a further 15 minutes, season and set aside.
- When the potatoes and parsnips are cooked, drain, add the milk, butter, salt and pepper then mash until you get the texture you like.
- Place the meat into a baking dish or divide between 2 dishes if freezing, top with the mash and then the cheese. (it’s at this point that the dish is ready for freezing)
- Bake in an 180°C oven for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.